Apply to become an AP Sports Apprentice Placement!
What is the Achievement Project Apprenticeship Scheme?
The Achievement Project (AP) Apprenticeship Scheme is an exciting and beneficial initiative that compliments school PE and school sport in Infant, Primary and Secondary schools across Leicester and Leicestershire.
The scheme has successfully worked within 21 schools to recruit, educate and employ Sports Apprentices to assist in curriculum PE and to deliver lunchtime and afterschool provision.
Benefits to the Apprentice:
- Up to 12 months of experience within a school setting
- Gain up to 8 qualifications during their placement
- Paid a salary during placement (training and school placement)
- Guaranteed at least 30 hours a week (35 maximum)
- Support given by AP Mentor
- Opportunity to progress further
"Apprenticeships are the way forward! They give you knowledge and experience whilst being paid at the same time!"
Jack, AP Sports Apprentice (Aged 18)
"I have gained a lot of valuable experience from working at the school. They have made me very welcome and I feel like I am part of the team. The training I have received has also given me a lot of knowledge that I have been able to use in the school."
Zack, AP Sports Apprentice (Aged 19)
Benefits to the School
- Apprentices meet all of the Minimum Operating Standards (MoS) for schools as per AfPE and Local Authority
- Apprentices are able to deliver extra curricula activities at your school that will provide opportunities for your pupils to try different activities whilst improving their health
- Provides additional capacity / resources
- Provides additional cover and/or support at festivals/events and any other external trips
- Full time (30-35 hours a week) apprentice dedicated to support the delivery of high quality sport and physical activity within your school
Networking and Pooling of Resources:
- Apprentices are able to work across a cluster of primary schools, delivering extra curricular activities
- Apprentices assist in the delivery of school sport games and competitions
- Assist in targeted delivery to those disengaged from regular activity e.g. delivering Change4Life clubs
- Support the co-ordination and delivery of competitive sporting opportunities
New Initiatives, Sports or Ideas:
- Create out of term schemes, including a free 1 week holiday programme at your school, delivered by a head coach and your sports apprentice
- Assist in the establishment of new breakfast, lunchtime and after school clubs
"I have been impressed by the organisation of this project. Our Sports Apprentice is enthusiastic, has initiative and is learning from other practitioners. He will shortly be running an after school club and supporting another 2 clubs."
Jenny Pickering, Head Teacher at Imperial Avenue Infant School
"At Granby we are delighted with our Sports Apprentice. The programme is well managed and the apprentices are well trained. This is a very effective use of our sports grant."
Peter Fowler, Head Teacher at Granby Primary School
"The apprentice has made a significant difference to the life of the school. I firmly believe that we will gain as much as they will. I definitely recommend it!"
Bruce Wells, Head Teacher at Folville Primary School
- be employed by b-inspired (The Braunstone Foundation)
- be 16-22 years of age
- have an enhanced DBS (formerly CRB) check
- have completed an intensive training programme before entering your school
- receive various resource packs to use in Schools
- receive developing resources to help the sustainability of the apprentices’ learning and development in schools
- The Apprentices will go through a 6 week intense training programme, which will cover:
- Health and Safety
- Equality and Diversity
- Leadership skills and initiatives
- Curriculum PE and school sport
- First Aid at Work (3-day)
- Additionally, the following qualifications will be completed during the apprenticeship:
- Level 2 NVQ in Activity Leadership
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Award in Higher Sports Leadership Level 3
What does an AP Apprentice Cost?
The total cost of having an AP Sports Apprentice in your school is £6,300.This cost covers their salary @ 30-35 hours per week as well as any associated overheads, plus: